Thursday 15 September 2011

Thoughts and ramblings regarding rudders.

The Devon Yawl class rules are very specific on the construction materials allowed, and the dimensions of the hull and sails, but do not give any guidance about the rudder.

I write this as I almost purchased a carbon foil the other day. I didn't go ahead as I did not want to fall foul of the class rules and couldn't justify spending the money on a blade that I may not able to race with.

The class rules state: "The use of Kevlar, Mylar or carbon fibre or other similar exotic materials is prohibited in the construction of hull or sails." Do I also take this to mean that I may have a carbon rudder, tiller extension or tiller?

I am also in deep internal debate about the dimensions and shape for the rudder, I understand from reading previous posts on the Devon Yawl class forum what seems to be fast, e.g. rs400 blade, however there are much more efficient (and lighter) blades of these dimensions, eg fireball/505 blades or even a modern merlin rocket rudder. 

Having sailed in various classes from the GP14 to my Musto skiff I understand that, non plaining boats at sub 5kt speeds require a differing shape / raked foil, especially if you want to move on a startline! But without buying up all the rudders in the land its hard to speculate.

All I know is that the flat metal sheet DY171 has at the moment is not going to be very fast?

DY171s current rudder blade

A carbon blade??


1 comment:

  1. Rich, have you spoken to Tim Coombe at SYC about the rudder blade. He does a lot of work on the boats at Topsham...

    ReplyDelete